Wednesday, December 3, 2008

War and Peace

Ok, so this is a pretty good quote from Leo Tolstoy, but that's not the point. If you've ever wondered why War and Peace is soooo long, read this sentence (yes, ONE sentence) and you'll see: Be sure to check out the alternate uses for this book in my labels and add your own. Unless, of course, you finished the book and really loved it.

"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." -Leo Tolstoy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

goat food

Dave said...

"As long as I just have the simple things in life, you know. Like sitting in front of the fireplace with a copy of War and Peace. You know, a book like that will feed a fire for half an hour." - Emo Phillips

Dennis said...

Tolstoy is describing the mind of a typical engineer. That's why I never tell anyone that that is my professiona and education. I subscribe to the principle of parsimony.

Alisa said...

Why can HE get published and I can't?

Dave said...

This reminded me of a post I did about an unusually long sentence in Moby Dick:

http://worldofwild.blogspot.com/2008/01/moby.html

Bri said...

flasmut

i love your verification words

Anonymous said...

"Did you know the original title for War and Peace was War-What Is It Good For?"

:)