Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Happy 50th, Barbie!

I was about 4 when Barbie was born. It wasn't long before I owned one of my own and we became fast friends. Everyone had one, Linda, Shelley, Debbie, Cheryl, all the girls on the block. She came with a black and white striped swim suit, sunglasses, heels and a straw purse. Her wardrobe rather limited the extent of her adventures so I gradually acquired a nice collection of cool clothes for every occasion. Now I could play out all the scenarios of life for Barbie - school, work, marriage, social engagements, anything a 'real gal' would do. Oh, the hours of enjoyment, Barbie and me.

We grew apart, we changed, we aged. This is Barbie's 50th birthday year and I have to say she hasn't taken such good care of herself. In fact I dare say all my friends and myself have withstood the test of time a bit better than Barbie. Too bad. Too, too bad. Hey, Barbie, maybe you could get some running shoes for those tiny little feet! Oh, don't fret Barbs, you're just one of us now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had that exact one except black hair! Never thought I'd look better than her but by gosh I do..........and I've got 9 yrs on her!