Sunday, June 28, 2009

I Found Marie!

Marie's Deli was my favorite place in Houghton back when I was just getting to know the town in the early 2000's. On one trip up there I was disappointed to find Marie's was gone along with her heavenly Mediterranean food. Fast forward almost a decade to last weekend in Grand Rapids. Mark, Mary, and I spent an enjoyable morning downtown checking out Matt's new house and browsing through shops and the farmer's market. Mary suggested a good spot for lunch called Marie Catrib's. The menu was eclectic with a wide variety of Mediterranean and other dishes ~ everything sounded delightful. As I read the back of the menu it all came together...Marie moved to Michigan from Lebanon...first restaurant was in Houghton, Mi.....worked at the Biltmore Estate in N.C.....pastry chef....dreamed of being her own boss...followed her heart back to Michigan!! I found Marie!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great food! Houghton's loss is our gain!

Dave said...

That is an amazing story!! What a small world!!! Marie!! I know I must know you!