Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Without Camera

I like to take pictures and I take a lot of them.  I've been told I should go places purposely without a camera so I can "live in the moment", "enjoy the present situation without thinking about how to photograph it".  Well, I'm sorry but it just doesn't work for me.  Perfect example last night on my after work walk on the beach.  The sky offered dark clouds, puffy white clouds, and clear blue all at the same time.  The winds were gusting to 50mph blowing sand on my legs that felt like a thousand stinging insects.  Then it rained.  Hard.  It quickly blew over and I turned around to head back to my car.  There in front of me was the most amazing complete double rainbow I have ever witnessed.  The super-saturated spectrum of colors shone against a backdrop of dark grey blue sky over the sand dunes.  If I had photographed it I would have been accused of creating such neon hues in editing.  I had no camera and my cellphone had a dead battery.  All I could think about was how to capture that rainbow.  Thanks for the advice (you know who you are) but I think I'll continue to carry a camera so I can savor the moment AND take it home with me to enjoy many more  times.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you!

Unknown said...

Go figure!!! I'm bummed you missed that!