Friday, September 16, 2011

The Universal Language

We met nine of Erich's hometown friends at a restaurant for a little reunion.  It was nice but difficult at first as only one of them spoke English.  Erich mentioned that George has a good voice so I asked him to sing a song.  After a beautiful rendition of Strangers in the Night I said I'm surprised they weren't singing drinking songs.  They recognized that term and flowed into a list of fun stein-swinging pub songs! 
George, Helmut
 Helmut said it was too bad I couldn't hear them play and sing...I asked if their instruments were in their cars...they needed no more invitation than that!  Soon we were all singing Austrian folk songs, including Yodeling accompanied by guitar and accordian!!  Music is truly the universal language!
Mary, Erich, Bert, Adi
                                       
                                                                           

2 comments:

Linda said...

It sounds like you are doing great 'communicating' !! Go Mary!

Don't get discouraged about the language thing because it will take away from your enjoyment of the whole trip... (what I learned from our honeymoon) :)

wildmary said...

Thanks, Linda! It gets better every day as I learn some words and how to use gestures effectively. People are so pleased when I speak a few German words so it's well worth the effort!