Friday, August 1, 2008

World Trade Center, NYC

9/11
That's all you have to say and each person has a unique image come forth from their memory. The only time I ever saw the World Trade Center in person was from the Newark airport as the sun was setting and I was anxiously awaiting the boarding of my plane to Ireland. I was bored with the book I was reading and needed to move around so I walked to the large windows that offered a view of Manhattan across the river. My impatience disappeared as I stared at the warm glow melting over the skyline. So those are the famous Twin Towers. They truly did "scrape the sky". I was literally startled by the beautiful scene in front of me.
Nine months later, in the days following 9/11 the thought of that sunset barely entered my mind. Like everyone, I was shocked and saddened, but it wasn't personal.
Fast forward to July, '08. Standing alone at the site of the disaster, the sun sinking quickly behind the remaining skyscrapers, the NYFD #10 truck just to my right awaiting it's day at the permanent memorial, a few other people staring into the hole of construction. Silence. Suddenly, it was personal. I felt the pain, the sadness, and the hope.

The towers of the World Financial Center stand guard over the site like sentinels casting shadows of pride and protection.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Wow. I love your trip pics and the stores too!

wildmary said...

Did you mean stories, because I don't remember shopping in Manhattan....