Monday, January 5, 2009

Mackinac Island Winter

Mackinac Island has much to offer in any season. The lilac festival in spring with the ancient massive lilac trees blooming abundantly; the summer spectacle of millions of flowers like a continuous rainbow over the island, the quaint horse drawn carriages and Victorian architecture, and a multitude of bicyclists out to enjoy a ride around the island with its turquoise waters and warm breezes; the colors of fall, the crisp air, and the sweet peace and calm of the tiny island without all the fudgies (fudge-toting tourists).

Last week was the first time I experienced Mackinac Island in the winter. First, there was the slow, teeth-chattering trip across the straits by ferry. The usual 20 minute trip took over an hour as we left from St. Ignace and went the long way around the island to the docks, avoiding packed ice, I presume. Also, it took a considerable amount of time to plow through the thick ice floes, which explained why they transported us on the old traditional ferry and why all the catamarans were in dry dock.

The utter lack of color was what grabbed me the most as I walked into town. No flowers, no awnings, no flashy tourists, no red and yellow carriages, no green grass. Of course, I know what winter looks like, but I guess I associate the island with its color more than I realized! These photos were taken in the same spots I had taken pictures the summer of 2007.

In spite of the differences I enjoyed the day as much or more than usual. Except for snowmobiles, the only winter transportation for the locals, it was peaceful in a "just us now" sort of way. My friends and I got some lunch then walked up to the Grand Hotel. The only way I can describe the winter/summer contrast of the mighty Grand is in photos. See what I mean about color??

Then we headed up to Stonecliffe and explored on snowshoes for a while. With just one return ferry we made sure to be back at the dock in time for a chilly ride home. I'm all for making this an annual event! Anyone game?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks totally awesome! I'm in!

Dennis said...

Does it ever get too cold to make fudge?

wildmary said...

It gets too cold to find people to sell it to.

Alisa said...

When you put it like that, how could I not be in?!

I've actually never been to Mackinac Island before, which is shameful for a native Michigander. But your words and photos make it even more imperative for me to visit!

That was a great post!