Monday, February 14, 2011

Heart to Heart

 Mary Kathleen Heffron Wild was my mother.  The last beat of her heart was ten years ago today, Valentines Day.  She lived with a heart defect, mitral stenosis from the time she had rheumatic fever as a child.  She later had two mitral valve replacements, first a porcine valve then a mechanical one.  In her last years she suffered from progressive congestive heart failure. 
 So with a lifetime of heart issues we somehow found it fitting that she lost her battle on the day that celebrates hearts and love.  She may have had a defective heart but it was full of love.  We still miss you, mom. 

3 comments:

Gramma Jan RN said...

What a nice photo and tribute to your mother. I miss those photos...she looks so pretty. She was a good lady. I just realized she was almost the same age Dad was. He will be gone six years ago in April, but was 74 and turning 75 in June, just a month and a half later. I just found out he had congestive heart failure too, but early stages, I believe. I miss all the 'parents.'

Alisa said...

Mary, I remember your mom very well. I always liked her; she was a peaceful-seeming person, and very kind.

My dad had the same thing, also caused by rheumatic fever. He received a porcine valve in 1968 and died in 1975. I'm glad you were able to have your mom around for a lot longer than that.

Mary said...

She's Beautiful =) My name's Mary too ! =)