Sunday, February 27, 2011

Skating on Thick Ice


Now THAT's an ice rink!
A few days ago I took my ice skates to the harbor in Harbor Springs after work.  I heard the ice boats were out so I knew the ice would be nice and smooth.  This only happens a couple of times a year when there's a thaw followed by a freeze without snow so I was lucky to take advantage of the conditions.  I got there when the sun was low in the sky and stayed long enough to get a few night shots, too.
Smooth as glass

What a feeling of freedom!
The cracks in the ice showed about a foot of ice thickness
Harbor Point, a favorite kayaking destination
Photo by M Wild Hansen

City lights of Petoskey reflecting across Little Traverse Bay on the ice
Photo by M Wild Hansen

Downtown Harbor Springs and the Holy Childhood steeple from Zoll St. Park
Photo by M Wild Hansen
                                                                            

1 comment:

Dave said...

My gosh you look good!